12.02.2010

Clifford.

Sometimes your class just doesn’t cooperate. You can ask and ask, try and try, but no matter what you say or do, some days, they just don’t listen. Today, during a working time, after multiple reminders from both Mrs. D. and myself about staying focused and keeping the chatting to a minimum, I brought out the big guns. I brought out… Clifford.

Clifford is a red stuffed dog, much like the character in the books. I bought him at a Scholastic warehouse sale for one dollar. He’s priceless. As I explained to the class when I first introduced him, Clifford, like many dogs, doesn’t like loud noises. He loves to visit children’s tables, but only if they’re using a working whisper.

We’ll like magic, a hush came over the room. The only sound heard was children whispering, “Shhhh! We want Clifford at our table…” When an entire table of sprouts was relatively quiet, Clifford would come rest in the middle of their table. Each child would offer a pet or two and then continue working. If they got too loud, Clifford would flee and find a quieter table.

Clifford doesn’t come visit everyday, only on those days where a little extra ‘something’ is required. He never fails to charm and dazzle the class. Oh, how I love that big red dog.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Great idea..I have a Clifford too, and when Clifford stops working, I'll pull out Curious George, Followed by Madeline, and Small Nut Brown Hare and his Mommy!

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

I love this idea! I had one of those days today and unfortunately those days seem to happen more often the closer we get to Christmas:)
Thanks for giving me another tool to add to my toolbox!

Deborah said...

What a terrific idea! I am going to explore this idea at one of our schools! I don't have a Clifford but I have lot's of other story book characters that might work!

Centers and Circle Time said...

Oh how sweet and simply clever!

Sarah said...

Great idea!

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Got here via the Education Buzz at Steve Spangler's Blog, today. I love your idea! I'm going to try it at home!