12.08.2010

Perfect.

Safety is a big deal at school. We have lots of different kinds of drills. Today we had our first planned evacuation to another building. Much like an outside safety drill (we don’t call it a ‘fire drill’ anymore), we all leave the building, but instead of meeting outside, we walk to one of the other school buildings on our campus. It’s not really a big deal unless you’re five.

We explained the drill to our sprouts during Morning Meeting. We went over all the expectations for behavior (no talking, staying together, walking in a straight line, etc.) and then, a few minutes before the drill, we bundled up in our winter gear and waited. When the evacuation was announced, Mrs. D. and I held our breaths and waited.

A funny thing happened. Our entire class was… amazing. Nobody talked. Nobody got lost. Nobody got out of line. Nobody acted like a crazy person. They were, quite simply, perfect.

When we got back from the long drill, I made sure to let them know how well they did. Perfect isn’t hilarious and doesn’t make for an amusing story, but it sure made my day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"nobody acted like a crazy person." oh my giggling over here by that statement!

123A2Z said...

Atta boys and atta girls for everyone! Bet your buttons were busting with pride.

Deborah said...

It is so rewarding isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Good for you all! Nothing like a drill on a cold day.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Congratulations to your class for behaving so well!

This time of year I am totally finding myself in awe of my own children! My Son is the most hyper child I've seen (and I've run a daycare out of my home for the last 10 years!). Yet, there he was at his school play yesterday, totally focused on the task at hand. He was great! No fidgeting even. Sounds small and like no big deal, but for a hyper five year old boy, it is huge! And you know what?! He even got picked as student of the month! Again, no small feat for a little boy with so much energy that calls him to be restless!

Thanks, as always, for the inspiration I find here!
Rebecca