4.11.2011

Medicine.

Wow. After missing two days last week and then the weekend, I wasn’t prepared for how darn missed I was. From the moment the sprouts filed into the classroom this morning, I was showered with ‘I miss you’ and hugs from left and right.

David made a point to pull me aside and tell me, “Mr. _______, I missed you so badly, I missed you the two days you were out and I thought about you all weekend long, I’m so glad you’re back.”

He really seemed to mean it too.

Martin forgot our conversation and tried to climb on my lap… a few times.

Audra gave me a few random hugs during transitions… she just couldn’t resist.

I got a few hugs from boys who were first timers… they’d never offered one before.

I started my day not feeling so well. I wasn’t sure I’d even made the right decision to go in today… but as the day progressed and I was showered with hugs, smiles, and genuine heartfelt love, I actually felt better. I know, it sounds corny, but it’s true. Those sprouts were just the medicine I needed.

I wonder how many of my non-teacher friends are missed so badly when they miss a few days of work?

2 comments:

Jessica S. said...

I know what you mean! I was out 4 days a couple weeks ago because one of my own kids had surgery. The hugs and chats were awesome when I returned. The coolest thing was when the students would turn the corner to come in the class very cautious like, they'd see me and I could see their sigh of relief and big grin.
They even miss me when I'm out for a half day. I had a half day training that was in the school building. We had a fire drill and when my students saw me out at the fire drill they were waving and smiling... they'd seen me just an hour before!

Deborah said...

Haha! I just am trying to picture my non-teacher friends getting all those hugs and sitting in laps just because they missed a few days from work. Might improve the corporate work environment!