3.27.2011

Bravo!

The other day, as I walked back to my room from dropping my sprouts off at a special, a second grade teacher stopped me.

“I have a story to share with you about one of your students,” she began.

Uh-oh. I wasn’t sure this was going to be good… second grade teachers don’t often get kindergarteners… I know, I used to teach second grade.

“Yesterday, when you were walking your class to lunch I stopped a boy at the back of the line,” she said.

I was worried already. Who was it? What were they doing wrong? My school has a no talking policy rule for the hallways. My class is pretty good about it, but hey, they’re five, and total silence isn’t easy for them.

“He was wearing a winter hat that looked just like a tiger, with ears and everything…”

At this point I knew exactly who she was talking about… Andy. This wasn’t going to be good.

“I said ‘Oh what a cute tiger hat, it’s so adorable, I just love it’,” she continued.

“Then he walked right up to me, put his finger up to his lips and said, ‘Shhhhh!’” she laughed.

“My whole class roared with laughter, they thought it was hilarious… you should compliment him on remaining quiet in the hallway,” she finished and walked off.

See, because I know it’s almost impossible for my class to remain silent in the halls, I try my hardest to be silent myself. They are watching me all the time… if I’m talking to students, other teachers or staff, well, why shouldn’t they talk as well? If I’m a silent pillar, the likelihood of them being quiet increases. I was quite proud of Andy… he knew my teacher friend was breaking the rules and had no problem letting her know. Bravo my young friend!

3 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Lol. One of my students did this one and the teacher got offended haha. I laughed though.

Dorothy.Shapland said...

Sometimes I wish this happened more often. I understand that the point of walking silently in the halls is to be respectful of classes still in session, but when I hear teachers yelling at their classes to be quiet,I just want to send my kindees out to give them this Andy treatment!

Karen Greenberg said...

The lessons we can learn from children will never stop amazing me.