3.30.2011

Shoe Club.

Ah Spring! With the melting of mountains of snow comes the buying of new shoes… usually with laces. As the number of sprouts requesting their shoes tied increases, I feel the need to introduce the Shoe Club. Basically a ruse to help me with all the tying, the club is quite exclusive. To gain membership a sprout must:

  1. Tie their shoes three different times on three different days. If a child isn’t wearing shoes with laces they can tie mine.
  2. Each attempt must be successful. Successful is defined by the laces staying tied. In the event of a discrepancy of success, I am the ultimate decider.

Once a sprout is in the club they receive:

  1. A badge that tells the world they’re in the Shoe Tying Club.
  2. A pair of brand new laces of their choice from our ‘Box Of Laces’ – rainbow, Dora, and Spongebob laces are the most popular.
  3. A star next to their name on the Shoe Tying Club roster so everyone knows they are a member for life… and will seek them out when if and when they need help tying shoes.

The club is always a huge hit. This year, just as last, there were four or five that already knew how to tie. After three days, they’re in. We also have a Shoe Tying Center during Center Time each day and I ask one member to be a ‘teacher’ and help others learn.

There is nothing as rewarding as seeing the smile on a child’s face when they successfully tie their first pair of shoes. I saw that look many times this week… I am one lucky guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I thought I was the only one that had a shoe club. I also have a 'IKMA'club ( I know my address). The other teachers on my team look at me crazya but hey..I'm not tying shoes anymore!