3.08.2011

Iza.

Today was our read loud via Skype with Iza Trapani. Tomorrow is actually World Read Aloud Day, but our schedules didn’t connect so she graciously offered to read today. After reading almost every book she’s written and illustrated and learning all about her, the energy was bubbling first thing this morning… and our read aloud wasn’t until two o’clock.

David walked off the bus saying, “Today we get to meet a real author!”

We had a few glitches with our technology, but as I explained to Ms. Tapani, when you work in a public school, you do the best with what you have. She was extremely patient with us and read her version of Froggie Went A-Courtin’. She used a small froggie puppet to help her read and also had us join her at times.

During one of the computer meltdowns, Mrs. D. and I regaled the class with stories of Pong and Asteroids as we tried to explain how when they’re adults this technology will seem passé.

Our time with Ms. Tipani was extraordinary. She took the time to answer a few questions and was just so genuinely happy to join us. Meeting her was more exciting to my sprouts than any celebrity or sports star – which is just what a kindergarten teacher hopes for.

I have to give a big thanks to my friend Susan (she has her own wonderful blog for older grades at The Book Maven’s Haven) for helping me set this up. Tomorrow, we’ll be writing our thank you cards and sending them off. Meeting, as David said, 'a real author', was a highlight and showed my sprouts what they can achieve.

4 comments:

LiteracyDocent said...

Congratualtions on your first of what I'm sure will be many Skype events! I was SO excited for you! I wish I could have Skyped in just to watch! Iza Trapani is one of my favorite authors for young readers! Your K sprouts are so fortunate to have a teacher who's willing to reach beyond the four walls of the classroom to bring the "real" world of reading and writing in!

Unknown said...

Those kids will always remember that! Big kudos to you--it is because of your enthusiasm they they were so thrilled to meet her!

Stacy said...

So Much fun! It's an amazing way to open up the world around the little ones!!
A K teacher in my district Skypes a weekly story read by some other super stars...the student's grandparents and Dad from work!

PS that one peek into your classroom makes me want to snoop around the rest! Do you have other photos of your room?

Sarah said...

How exciting!!! I'm jealous!