11.30.2010

Distracted.

Lately, during calendar time, Mrs. D. and I have been trying to let the calendar helper do as much of the work independently as they feel comfortable doing. Most kids who have been listening and paying attention know what to do, but it’s a little overwhelming standing in front of the entire group with the proverbial spotlight shining on you, so one of us usually hangs back to assist. Today was my turn.

As I walked over to Dan to help him, my nose caught a whiff of something… something pleasant! The smells in kindergarten aren’t always pleasing, so this was surprising. As anyone who has spent more than five minutes with me knows, I’m easily distracted (poor Mrs. D., she certainly is one of he most patient people I’ve ever met, I’m not sure how she puts up with me…).

“What’s that smell?” I asked.

I was greeted with lots of curious looks… what was this mysterious smell?

“It smells nice, something very sweet…” I clarified.

“It’s my hair… I use coconut shampoo,” Rachel offered.

Needing to know, I walked over and smelled her hair. This might sound strange, but not in kindergarten.

“Nope,” it wasn’t her hair.

Mrs. D. walked over and tried to help me find the culprit, most likely to help move along our calendar time. She couldn’t identify the perpetrator either. I’ve had students in kindergarten wear excessive amounts of perfume before, so I was wary.

Trying to ignore my propensity to distractions, I walked back to Dan to continue calendar. The sweet smell strengthened. I leaned over and smelled his shoulder…

“It’s you!” I exclaimed, happy to have solved the case.

Dan looked at me like I had ten heads. He had no idea why he would smell so nice.

“I think it’s the detergent your mom uses to wash your clothes,” I explained.

He smiled, grabbed the pointer, and turned to the calendar.

I am officially a crazy man able to be distracted by laundry detergent. Call me Distracted Man. At least I can admit it.

3 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

It's certainly more pleasant to be distracted by a nice scent than worried that someone didn't make it to the restroom in time...

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

Oh boy, do I know what you mean about smells. More often than not it is not the good kind! I have a little boy in my class that gets ready with his dad in the morning. His dad gives him a thorough spritz from head to toe with men's cologne :) He is a bit overwhelming in the morning but by the end of the day he smells much better. He is just so proud of himself and I cannot bring myself to say anything to dad or son because it is obvious to me that they love the bonding time in the morning.

Cindy said...

SQUIRREL!!! I swear, teaching has made me ADD, too! :oP Lol!