11.14.2010

Run, Turkey, Run!

OK, I almost never review children's books, but I found one that many may not have heard of, and the amount of sheer joy (something we can all use an extra dose of) it is bringing to my classroom needs to be shared. Run, Turkey, Run! by Diane Mayr with illustrations by Laura Rader has got to me my all time favorite (non-historical, that goes to Tapenum's Day) Thanksgiving read aloud. This simple story about a turkey trying to evade becoming the main course on thanksgiving has brought more giggles and laughter to my class than any other book in recent memory.

We've actually read it every day since it was first brought out about a week ago. Every single day. The text is predictable, and the children get to read (or shout, it's up to you) 'Run, Turkey, Run!' ever couple of pages. Every time they urge the poor bird on in unison, all I can hear in my head is Jenny from the Forest Gump movie shouting, "Run, Forest, Run!" in that deep southern drawl. It's awesome!

Our hero, the turkey, has many tricks up his sleeve to outwit the farmer, and the illustrations match the text for laughs. When turkey decides to hide in the duck pond he's outfitted in full scuba gear. Hi-la-ri-ous. Really, you will be smiling and laughing right along with your sprouts... trust me.

If you've never read Run, Turkey, Run! do yourself a favor and pick up a copy. Your class will thank you for it. Otherwise, it might just be grilled cheese sandwiches for you and your family on Thanksgiving too!

9 comments:

Sara said...

It's a FANTASTIC and easy story to have the kids act out!
We love it, too!

Deborah said...

I just went to the book store last night but I didn't see that book - I will go back and see if I can get it today!

Unknown said...

This is one of the few thanksgiving books I do own. Anyone looking for it try Scholastic!

ChiTown Girl said...

Of course this is in my collection! Very cute! Do you have 10 Fat Turkeys? I bet your kids would love it as much as mine do every year.

Mr. Halpern said...

@Sara - we've never acted it out, but now we will!

@Deborah - your kids will LOVE it, trust me.

@ChiTownGirl - yes - we love that one too. :)

123A2Z said...

Sometimes Its Turkey, Sometimes Its Feathers by Lorna Balian is also a great story. The pictures are very simple line drawings, but also some predictable text and a happy ending for the turkey.

Sarah said...

Sounds cute! Sounds a little like the new one I just got from Scholastic - Turkey Trouble! I haven't read it to the kids yet, but I sure enjoyed it!

Books4Learning said...

That was one of my favorites too. It made my turkey top 10. I never realized there were so many turkey books! :)

KR said...

My favorite is still "Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving...