11.29.2010

Monday, Monday.


That picture isn’t for me. It applies to my sprouts. I’m not sure if they were all still sleepy from eating too much turkey or what was going on, but they were, for the most part, exhausted from the moment they arrived. The day seemed to wallop many of them. It made for a really laid back day, something not really expected after a break.

When I walked the class down to P.E. in the afternoon, David asked me quite politely if I would tie his shoe. I quickly knelt down to ensure his safety before he began running around and the minute I took his laces in my hands, I remembered David was the one with his laces in his mouth all morning long. They were sloppy wet. I quickly tied his shoes and walked as fast as my legs would carry me to the teacher’s room and scrubbed my hands like I was about to perform major surgery. I am a trooper... I earned my gold star for the day.

At the end of the day, as we walked outside for recess, I heard shouts of, ‘Snow, snow, snow!’ from children running up the hill beyond my view. To be clear, we did not have any snow today… or yesterday. We’ve had no snow yet and we live in an area where feet of snow are on the way. When I climbed the hill myself, this is what I saw:


I didn’t have the heart to tell them it was only frost, not actually snow… they began sliding down the hill, trying to enjoy the ‘snow’ as much as possible. It really doesn’t get more optimistic than that. Monday, Monday, yay!

5 comments:

Edie Parrott said...

I'm with the kids. In the South, we definitely call that snow and get excited!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I could teach kindergarten where it snows....Doesn't it take you an hour to prepare to go out? I teach in Florida and if it gets in the 60's our kids come with mittens, gloves, hats, puffy jackets, boots, tights, scarves..... Of course, not one of them can take these items off/on independently. Makes me want to scream. I sent home the following story as a hint to parents.

Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his boots?

He asked for help and she could see why...

Even with her pulling and him pushing, the little boots still didn't want to go on. By the time they got the second boot on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost cried when the little boy said, 'Teacher, they're on the wrong feet.' She looked, and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on, this time on the right feet...

He then announced, 'These aren't my boots.'

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, 'Why didn't you say so?' like she wanted to. Once again, she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off his little feet. No sooner had they gotten the boots off when he said, 'They're my brother's boots. My mom made me wear 'em.'

Now she didn't know if she should laugh or cry. But, she mustered up what grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again.

Helping him into his coat, she asked, 'Now, where are your mittens?'

He said, 'I stuffed 'em in the toes of my boots.'

She will be eligible for parole in three years!

Mr. Halpern said...

@Edie - How nice to hear from you! :)

@Anonymous - I have to tell you... we actually PRACTICE getting ready over and over again. The first few days it takes us about 20 minutes, but by mid-February, we get it down to about 5 minutes, which is pretty good in my book. :) We go out twice a day, so we do it all twice! Luckily, the last time we go out is right before we go home, so they just stay bundled up and head home. FUN TIMES! :)

Plants seeds of knowledge...for our future! said...

LOL, I know how you feel with the wet shoestrings! We have cots that I lay out at rest time. I have the extra long cots and I put them out because there are less injuries this way. I also pick them up and put them away. I picked one child's cot up and the blanket touched my arm...you guessed it wet from chewing! I luckily have a sink in my room. I put they cot away and went to the sick to give my arms and hands a medical scrub! I REFUSE to get sick this year! Last year my whole family was so sick for the whole Christmas Break 14 days of ickiness! So not repeating that!

Shannon said...

That picture of frost is very familiar to me...where I live we rarely get snow, and the kids haul out their sleds for heavy frost! :)