11.28.2010

Hugs.

As I prepare to go back to school tomorrow after not seeing my sprouts for nine days (we had some teacher only time last week) and quite a few days of resting and relaxation, I can't help but think, wow, how lucky am I to not hate going back to work. Don't get me wrong, by the time the last cherub gets on the bus tomorrow afternoon, I will most likely feel like I've been run over by a bus, but I'll have a big smile on my face after just receiving forty or fifty 'I missed you' hugs... see kindergartners have a hug for every occasion.

  • The 'I'm not going to see you for two whole days Friday afternoon' hug
  • The 'I just learned something new and oh my gosh I'm so smart' hug
  • The 'I'm not going to see you for an entire week because we have break' hug
  • The 'I just somehow cut myself and you gave me a band-aid' hug
  • The 'You just made me feel like a million bucks' hug
  • The 'You were out sick yesterday and the sub was really mean I'm so glad you're back' hug
  • The 'You're my hero and for no good reason except I love you' hug
  • The 'I haven't seen you since three o'clock yesterday afternoon' hug
  • The 'You look down and I'm not sure why because I'm five but this might help' hug
  • The 'Whatever lesson, game, or song we just did was super fun and you're an amazing teacher' hug
  • And as mentioned above, the 'Dear Lord, I missed you' hug

With a hug silo like that in each of my little friends, going to work is never a chore. When my alarm goes off super early tomorrow morning and I'm dragging myself out of bed, I'll be sure to remember those hugs. Which hugs are your favorite? Did I forget any?

4 comments:

Deborah said...

My preschoolers are going to now be all excited about Christmas so we will begin our "It's almost time for Christmas" hugs!

Unknown said...

I've always been a fan of the "here's a hug because I want a hug" hug myself!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of the "I don't know who you are, but you said 'hi' to me and you look nice" hug. Typically given by primary grade students to unsuspecting adults in the hall. Being the school psychologist, most kids don't know who I am, so this hug is pretty much the norm for me.

Michelle said...

So wonderful! Enjoy your hugs :)