11.19.2010

Manners.

There’s nothing I love more than giving a complement to a sprout and seeing the pure proud feeling on their face. In our kindergarten class, we’ve been working on manners… it’s not uncommon to hear ‘please’, ‘thank you’, and ‘your welcome’ in the room. Hand a child a paper, and most likely, they’ll thank you. Yes, it’s rather pleasant.

The other day, we were announcing the child we’d selected as the most respectful, responsible, and safe student of the week. For the record, this is a program my school as implemented… I have mixed feelings about it, but the kids seem to love it and really look forward to the announcement.

Evelyn was chosen this week. She has really worked hard at making good choices and has emerged as a model student… truly worth recognition.

After the reveal, the class congratulated her with lots of applause and even a cheer. Finally, in an attempt to move us along and wrap up the celebration, Mrs. D. turned to Evelyn and said, “Congratulations, Evelyn.”

Evelyn, ever the polite little girl, replied, “You’re Welcome.”

Now, nobody thanked her, but she knew she was supposed to say something polite, and ‘You’re Welcome’ is one of the replies we give to be polite. I’m not sure what Miss Manners would say about her reply, but I think it was simply perfect.

4 comments:

User Reviews said...

That is awesome! I think manners are very important, and sadly, many people seem to be lacking. Good for you for teaching manners. Good for Evelyn for earning her award, and knowing when it is appropriate to say something polite.
Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

A few days ago you wrote about kind gestures. Well today, one of my student's mothers came in to bring the class snack and brought me some beautiful fall flowers. I was so surprised!! Wasn't that such a nice thing to do? It made my day.
Concerning manners....we focus on manners all day, everyday. We talk about "restaurant manners" at lunch, audience manners when someone is sharing etc... Kindergarteners are amazing and truly want to do the "right" thing.

Lisa said...

We work on manners all day in every situation as most kindergarten teachers do.
I saw something yesterday that made my blood boil.
Our school held it's annual Harvest Fair, where kids can bring a small amount of money and purchase snacks, recycled jewelry, crafts etc.
I always have a few cherubs who either forget their money or just can't afford a few extra dollars, so I'm always sure to have some single dollars and quarters on hand just in case.
I handed out three single dollars to the kids who had none, two were very appreciative, smiled and said thank you.
One had a pouty face, I l asked her what was bothering her.
She looked at me and said, "This dollar is not enough."
I wanted so badly to take that dollar back, but I didn't and gave her the manner talk instead.
So we can talk about manners, we can model good manners and reward them for good manners, but in the end it has to be learned and reinforced at home too.
Where does a child learn to be so ungrateful?

Mrs Catch said...

Manners are mostly caught, not taught, aren't they. But, recognition of lovely manners is a pretty good way of ensuring they'l be used again. Lovely story. The kids sound a treat.