11.11.2010

Gesture.

Yesterday afternoon and evening, we had the first half of our parent conferences. Whoever thought teaching all day long and then staying into the evening to meet with parents was a good idea has never spent much time with a group of kindergartners… just sayin’.

As the early evening approached, a parent arrived for her conference. As she walked in, she had one of those little cardboard coffee carriers you get when you buy more than one coffee… low and behold she had stopped to buy herself a pick me up and brought both Mrs. D. and me one too.

“I just figured you both might like one too,” she explained.

A small simple gesture just made my night. Not only did she really help us get through the evening, but she cemented my philosophy that teaching is a collaborative effort… parent and teachers have to work together and sometimes a little coffee goes a long way.

7 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

What a lovely gesture, indeed! Hope your conferences go well.

Anonymous said...

We had a parent that used to call us and take orders. Last year 2 yrs after her children have left our school she dropped off coffee for us! That was AMAZING!!! Today a mom baked us brownies. We are lucky to have such great parents.

SassyGinger said...

Last year one of my parents bought us lunch. Anyone who has ever had a burger from Five Guys knows I was in heaven! Yumyuymyum!

123A2Z said...

We had a wonderful PTA that brought Pot Luck meals for us the first night of conferences. It was great because there were always enough left overs for the second night, too! We have Amazing cooks in our parent ranks!!

Unknown said...

I went on a field trip with my son's class today. On the way to school I bought his teacher a coffee. It's so simple to do and she was truly thankful for it. A good teacher is worth 10 times their weight in gold and it take so little to show appreciation

Mamie said...

At our beginning of the year conferences a parent brought me a root beer float from A&W... I just about fell out of my chair with gratitude!

Mrs Catch said...

A cupcake for morning tea, (just because) is another thought always appreciated by teachers. Little things make all the difference. Small gestures are often the best.