11.02.2010

Santa.

Today while washing hands, I overheard (and was subsequently sucked into) and interesting conversation.

Billy came up to me and reported, “Mr. A., Charlie pushed me.”

Before I even opened my mouth to reply, Charlie interjected, “No I didn’t, No I didn’t, No I didn’t do a thing!”

Now I’d seen the push, so at this point, I was fishing for the facts.

“Charlie, remember how important being honest is, please tell me the truth,” I said.

Before Charlie could answer me, Amy, a witty and bright little girl, offered, “Charlie, remember Santa is always watching to see if you’re being naughty – lying is naughty.”

Charlie looked at me. I nodded in agreement with Amy.

“OK, I did it,” he admitted.

“Thank you for being honest, now what do you have to say to Billy?” I finished.

He turned and apologized.

I guess with Halloween over and the Christmas decorations out in stores, visions of presents and a certain jolly fat man in a red suit are taking over. To be clear, we've just started learning about Thanksgiving, that's it! I'm not sure where Santa entered the picture, but hey, when you teach kindergarten, you’ll use whatever works.

8 comments:

Deborah said...

Haha - my husband used to tell our daughter he was going to give Santa a call if she didn't behave and my daughter would get so upset with my husband. They both drove me crazy but my husband thought it was super funny!

Unknown said...

Oh, yes the power of Santa. I tell the kids that I have Santa's phone number and I can call him whenever I need to. :)

Sarah said...

Sigh. I wish we could take more time to appreciate Thanksgiving.... but I know the irresistible draw of Santa can work wonders for behavior :)

Beth said...

I do let my students know that Santa consults with teachers in crafting his "nice list." I think Christmas excitement bubble just below the surface all year long for my students. During an AUGUST home visit, one of my students entertained me with a song and dance routine to "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer!"

Theresa Milstein said...

Whatever works - agreed!

I wish I could do that with the 7th and 8th-graders.

Katy said...

Ack! My husband gets SO MAD because I put out our Christmas decoration the day after Thanksgiving. I try not to tell him that the stores are already getting ready!

Anonymous said...

I put the toy catalog for Toys R Us in the book center yesterday and you would have thought I gave them gold!!

SassyGinger said...

Ah yes, the power of Santa has begun. Although yesterday in my room one of my kids told the others that God is everywhere and he made everything and he sees everything. Hey, I didn't start that conversation!